January 21, 2022

Vimeo Channel YouTube Channel

How To Apply For An FHA Loan: The Paperwork You Need

In our last blog post we discussed how to apply for an FHA loan including issues related to credit and getting pre-approved for the loan. Getting ready for your mortgage loan application takes time-you need to have 12 months of on-time payments for your financial obligations leading up to the application, and you need to check your credit report to make sure you know what the lender will see at application time. But what is required when you actually start to fill out the paperwork for the mortgage?

Credit, Employment, and Tax Data

The lender needs a variety of information to approve your mortgage loan. That includes tax paperwork-anticipate the lender asking for at least two years of tax documents and have them ready at application time.

Your lender will need proof of employment. Some of that will come from you, so be ready to give employer contact names, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, and the physical address of your work place. Your lender will also pull your credit reports, but those reports cannot be sourced from the borrower, they must come from the three major credit reporting agencies.

Minimum Employment Requirements

FHA loan rules require the lender to verify a minimum of two years of employment for each borrower. That does NOT mean you have to work for the same company for two years. The FHA loan requirement in this area is designed simply to show the borrower has some form of employment that fits FHA loan requirements for two years total.

Borrowers who have changed jobs should be prepared to give the lender the names, addresses, phone numbers and other contact information for their past employers, depending on circumstances. If you have changed jobs several times in the last few years, this will apply to you. The lender may also require additional documentation that explains why the frequent job changes have occurred, but this would be done on a case-by-case basis.

Supporting Documentation

Some borrowers require more paperwork due to the nature of their credit or employment. Small business owners and self-employed borrowers, for example, must be prepared to give the lender profit-and-loss statements, business plans, and other information that will help the lender determine the sustainability and success of the small business or self-employment venture.

Borrowers who have experienced bankruptcy will be required to show the legal documentation surrounding such proceedings, including discharge dates and other information. If you have a divorce decree, you may need to provide this paperwork, especially if there are issues related to previous home loans made during a legal marriage.

For all of these requirements, additional lender standards may apply. State law may also play an important part in how your loan application proceeds, depending on circumstances.



Joe Wallace - Staff Writer

By Joe Wallace

June 12, 2017

Joe Wallace has been specializing in military and personal finance topics since 1995. His work has appeared on Air Force Television News, The Pentagon Channel, ABC and a variety of print and online publications. He is a 13-year Air Force veteran and a member of the Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association. He was Managing editor for www.valoans.com for (8) years and is currently the Associate Editor for FHANewsblog.com.

Connect with Joe:


Browse by Date:

About FHANewsBlog.com
FHANewsBlog.com was launched in 2010 by seasoned mortgage professionals wanting to educate homebuyers about the guidelines for FHA insured mortgage loans. Popular FHA topics include credit requirements, FHA loan limits, mortgage insurance premiums, closing costs and many more. The authors have written thousands of blogs specific to FHA mortgages and the site has substantially increased readership over the years and has become known for its “FHA News and Views”.

5850 San Felipe Suite #500, Houston, TX 77057 281-398-6111.
FHANewsBlog.com is privately funded and is not a government agency.

Share This