Timely news, information and advice concentrating on FHA, VA and USDA residential mortgage lending.

Vimeo Channel YouTube Channel

Do I Need FHA Mortgage Insurance?

June 15, 2017

Do I need mortgage insurance?In a recent blog post we discussed the differences between FHA mortgage loans and conventional home loans. One of the most important differences between FHA mortgages and conventional loans is the mortgage insurance requirement. Conventional loans may, depending on the size of your down payment and other factors, require the borrower to put as much as 20% down.

Those who do not put a certain percentage down on a conventional mortgage may be required to carry private mortgage insurance (also known as PMI).

FHA home loans, on the other hand, require a minimum 3.5% down payment and have no private mortgage insurance requirement. However, FHA mortgages do require the borrower to pay for mortgage insurance. This requirement includes an Up Front Mortgage Insurance Premium (UFMIP) and a monthly payment (MIP).

However, this may or may not be the only kind of insurance an FHA loan requires. It all depends on a few important details about the location of your new home.

Properties located in areas with known problems with natural disasters may be subject to additional insurance requirements. In some cases these may be FHA loan requirements, and in others the lender’s standards, state law, or other factors may apply.

If you want to purchase property in a known flood zone, for example, you will be required to carry flood insurance. But in some cases the borrower may have to carry hazard insurance only after the lender orders a “flood zone determination” on the property.

You read that correctly. Sometimes the problems in a specific area are well-known, while in others it may require a specific determination to know whether or not hazard insurance may be needed. This may be an issue for properties on the outskirts of a known flood zone, or an area prone to mudslides, forest fires, etc. The property may or may not be located within the boundaries of an area defined as a hazard zone or special hazard zone. That’s why the lender may need to investigate the nature of the area your chosen home is located in or near.

As you can see, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to the question, “Do I need FHA mortgage insurance?” as all FHA borrowers are required to pay UFMIP and PMI, but where flood zones and other hazard areas are concerned, the issue is often dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Joe Wallace - Staff Writer

By Joe Wallace

Joe Wallace has been specializing in military and personal finance topics since 1995. His work has appeared on Air Force Television News, The Pentagon Channel, ABC and a variety of print and online publications. He is a 13-year Air Force veteran and a member of the Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association. He was Managing editor for www.valoans.com for (8) years and is currently the Associate Editor for FHANewsblog.com.

Connect with Joe:


Browse by Date:

About FHANewsBlog.com
FHANewsBlog.com was launched in 2010 by seasoned mortgage professionals wanting to educate homebuyers about the guidelines for FHA insured mortgage loans. Popular FHA topics include credit requirements, FHA loan limits, mortgage insurance premiums, closing costs and many more. The authors have written thousands of blogs specific to FHA mortgages and the site has substantially increased readership over the years and has become known for its “FHA News and Views”.

5850 San Felipe Suite #500, Houston, TX 77057 281-398-6111.
FHANewsBlog.com is privately funded and is not a government agency.

Share This